Drummond for Council

Drummond for Council

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Remembering September 11th

Last night I had the great honor of participating with my colleagues on the Council and the Fairfax City community in our Patriot Day ceremony. Established after September 11th, 2001 to honor those who died and those who serve, it is a very moving ceremony where we pray, reflect and thank those men and women on our own fire and police departments for their service, going down the line and shaking each person's hand.

September 11th was a pivotal moment in our country's history, stripping away much of the innocence that remained of this young country. We were thrust into situations we didn't ask for. We were - and still are - hated by those who love freedom and our way of life. And this ceremony - on the grounds of what is perhaps the most beautiful City Hall there is in this country - reminds us of this. It also reminds us that we have so much to be thankful for and that we must never forget September 11th, not just because of the tragedy that unfolded and loss of life, but that it brought focus and clarity to what was truly important: our freedom in this country.

Nine years later with an economic downturn continuing people seem to have forgotten September 11th as a time of unity. I must say that this is somewhat understandable on it face. The unemployment rate and lack of optimism has people turning inward - tucking in their horns, so to speak. People are thinking about themselves first and worrying about their families, as they should be.

Yet, it seems that if we take a step back - and especially in the context of remembering September 11th - we still have it pretty good compared to the rest of the world. Yes, we certainly have our challenges. But the principles and values that make this country great are still secure. We can still speak our minds. We can still practice our religion. We have a social net that helps those in need. We are still largely free to do as we please, except where community norms and laws disallow actions that may harm others.

On September 11th 2001 I was coming back to work as a reporter for The Washington Times. It was my second day back from paternity leave after the birth of Sadie Ann just two weeks prior. I was on 395 when the plane hit the Pentagon. I immediately got off the highway and raced to the scene. From then on I was reporting full time, staying on site for weeks and covering the aftermath for months. I will never forget. I will never forget the heroics of the rescue personnel, the shocked faces of military men and women racing to save their colleagues and of course, the crowds that gathered nearby to observe, to pray and to mourn.

My most vivid memory - and one that still chokes me up - is coming home after a day of covering the tragedy's aftermath (I believe it was September 13th) and watching Winston Marsalsis play his trumpet on a television program honoring the fallen and our heroes. I was sitting on the couch holding Sadie in my arms, looking down at her and thinking how blessed I was to have her, to be alive and to be in this country. I still am blessed. And so are all Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan, Family and Friends in the 2013 Fourth of July Parade

Dan, Family and Friends in the 2013 Fourth of July Parade
Riding the coolest car in the parade