Drummond for Council

Drummond for Council

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pushing a Lawn Mower for Earth Day


Today (April 22) is officially Earth Day. I'd like to think that many of us consider everyday Earth Day. And in the City of Fairfax we certainly do our part. Whether it's our Environmental Sustainability Committee, our top-notch recycling program or our dedication to preserving open space, the City is a leader on "green" issues. I'm particularly excited about the current energy audit underway now. This audit is looking at our City-owned buildings, trying to find savings in both dollars and wattage, so to speak. Hopefully we'll hear something from staff sooon on that.
The opening of the Ashby Pond Conservatory in the Little River Hills section of the City is another gem of an environmental project. If you are ever looking for some peace and quiet while also getting a chance to see beautiful flowers and little creatures, this is the place to be.
Finally, I like to think I did my "thinking locally" part by buying (at Twins ACE Hardware on Main Street, of course) and using a human powered push lawn mower. This mower (picture at the top left-hand corner) is just awesome. When I mowed the lawn the other day with it, it took me about 3 hours. Not because the mower was hard to push - it wasn't - but people kept asking about it since a push mower is a bit of a novelty.
This device is truly Earth-friendly as it doesn't burn one iota of gas, gives you a good workout and cuts the lawn as well as an electric/gas-powered mower. Honest to goodness I can say that without the stopping due to inquiries (which I certainly didn't mind), this mower was easier to push then mower with a motor. I was pleasantly surprised.
So, there you have it. Happy Earth Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan, Family and Friends in the 2013 Fourth of July Parade

Dan, Family and Friends in the 2013 Fourth of July Parade
Riding the coolest car in the parade